Saturday, December 1, 2012

And So It Begins...

ad·vent [n.]

1. a coming into place, view, or being; arrival: the advent of the holiday season.
2.( usually initial capital letter  ) the coming of Christ into the world.
3.( initial capital letter  ) the period beginning four Sundays before Christmas, observed in commemoration of the coming of Christ into the world.

Macy's says the official start of the season is when Santa arrives at the end of the Thanksgiving Day Parade. But for me, it's December 1st.

The "Christmas Season" or the "Holiday Season" is the official title. But honestly? Those terms are void of any significant meaning.  'Christmas' is so commercialized and marketed that it's more of a secular title than a sacred one; 'holiday' season is a completely neutered, almost insulting.  


But Advent: A coming into view. An arrival. It automatically begs the questions: "The coming into view of who? Of what? Whose arrival?"


I admit, I love all the fun, secularized aspects of this season too - the shopping, the parties, the goodies, the Christmas music, the movies, the decorating, the traditions, the Secret Santas...I love, love, love it all.  But "Advent" is not typically in the front of my mind as I tear through this month in a frenzy to Dec. 25. And that's sad.


Today's December 1st.  That gives me a full month to prepare my heart for Christ's Advent. My goal for this month is to do something every day that reminds me of the Advent Season.  It doesn't have to be huge, but just in some way, acknowledge that this season is about an arrival...the Son of God. A coming into view...of God Himself. In the flesh.


Really.  What is a bigger reason to celebrate than that? Black Friday? Seriously?


I came across a few good website with some ideas.  I'll pass them on to you, if you are looking for ways to celebrate the Advent Season. The arrival. The coming into view...of something...Someone...who changed everything.   

That is something worth contemplating for the next 25 days.




No comments:

Post a Comment